- RT @CareCloud: RT @venturebeat: @CareCloud CEO says Doctors scared they will lose money due to new technology http://t.co/OEKLVjsDqV - posted 19 hours ago
- RT @VentureBeat: Performance management biz Adaptive Planning nets $45M http://t.co/mzPQuS8M0Z by @seanludwig - posted 21 hours ago
- Catch NVP's @babbottnvp as a judge at this afternoon's Grand Rounds Innovation Showdown at #HealthBeat: http://t.co/rYIn9dYV0H - posted 21 hours ago
- NVP's @promodhaque will be on the "VC and Growth Equity Landscape in Health IT" panel today at #HealthBeat: http://t.co/rYIn9dYV0H - posted 2 days ago
- The @ApigeeInstitute Launches to Help the Global 2000 Succeed in the App Economy http://t.co/WJvv3bjDcp - posted 6 days ago
- Congrats to NVP’s @mattdhoward named as one of “The 19 Best Enterprise Tech Venture Capitalists” by @BusinessInsider http://t.co/GrQxVzlHcH - posted 6 days ago
- Can you train your brain? @Lumosity, BrainHQ say yes | Fox News http://t.co/pjRQfJ7I2C via @foxnews - posted 7 days ago
- Five minutes with: Krish Ramakrishnan, CEO, @BlueJeansNet http://t.co/bpxWWi6HYH - posted 1 week ago
- RT @Quirky: Did you catch our founder @BenKaufman on TV this morning? Video here: http://t.co/L5I4LvZwD0 #CNBCdisruptors - posted 1 week ago
- Join @promodhaque and @babbottnvp at the health event of the year: #HealthBeat 2013, May 20-21, San Francisco, CA http://t.co/3dT29mFG7Y - posted 1 week ago
- .@FreeShippingCom Introduces a New Member Benefit: 5% Cash Back on Online Purchases http://t.co/LCZcSdCWaG - posted 1 week ago
- Veveo Awarded Two New Patents for its Semantic Search, Discovery and Personalization Technologies http://t.co/NaTX5rmzgN - posted 1 week ago
- RT @promodhaque: InsightsOne to Deliver Predictive Intelligence for Independence Blue Cross http://t.co/2wVb2RWRSF - posted 2 weeks ago
- Cyan Celebrates Initial Public Offering and First Day of Trading on the New York Stock Exchange http://t.co/oFXFYYo9Iy - posted 2 weeks ago
- Cyan Announces Pricing of Initial Public Offering - Yahoo! Finance http://t.co/u308EqKiOY @YahooFinance - posted 2 weeks ago
Tags1010data Adaptive Planning Big Data Cloud e-commerce entrepreneur entrepreneurs financial technologies FireEye funding Gemvara Gilt Groupe Hadapt Hadoop InsightsOne Jeff Crowe John Herr Josh Goldman Lending Club Manta Manthan Systems Matt Howard MobileIron ModCloth Motif Investing Norwest Norwest Venture Partners NVP Pinterest Promod Haque Quirky Rackspace Rafter recruiting RetailMeNot Robert Abbott SaaS Sergio Monsalve SMB social commerce social media SundaySky The Retail Equation venture capital WhaleShark Media
E-Tailing Profitability at IRCE 2012, with Cotter Cunningham of WhaleShark Media (RetailMeNot)
I’m at the Internet Retailer Conference (IRCE 2012) this week in Chicago, and the buzz around the event is infectious. I’ve already met with several top retailers, e-tailers and industry influencers who are here to discuss the latest trends around 21st Century retailing, and learn more about innovative technologies and new business models that are turning the shopping experience on its head.
This morning I moderated an E-Retailing Profitability Workshop with Cotter Cunningham, founder and CEO NVP portfolio company, WhaleShark Media (RetailMeNot), called, “Striking The Right Deal When You Go for Funding.”
We had a colorful discussion about e-retailers looking to expand their businesses, and how they are turning to outside investors for capital. Cotter walked through how WhaleShark Media raised $150 million last November in a down market, and the path the company has taken to profitability. We also addressed how business owners seeking to raise capital must have their eyes wide open, and we examined issues related to finding outside funding and how to chart a path that will lead both sides to profitability and contentment. Best practices around ensuring businesses get what they need on terms they can live with, and what to do with the money once they’ve obtained it, were also topics of interest.
Below is a story written by Thad Rueter of Internet Retailer, called “IRCE 2012 Report: How to snag venture capital cash,” which includes key highlights from our workshop this morning. You can also view slides from our session here. (Click “More” and then “Fullscreen” to better view the slides, use the arrow keys to step through it).
June 5, 2012, 11:38 AM
IRCE 2012 Report: How to snag venture capital cash
Venture capitalists are looking to finance retailers that have figured out how to shake up the e-commerce market.Thad Rueter Senior Editor
Venture capitalist Josh Goldman and e-commerce executive Cotter Cunningham discuss who retailers can garner venture funding at IRCE.
Online retailers hoping to be handed a bagful of cash from a venture capitalist need to figure out how they might shake up the e-commerce market and also plan to hire attorneys with expertise in funding.
Cotter Cunningham e-commerce e-retail IRCE 2012 Josh Goldman NVP online retailing Prezi RetailMeNot venture capital WhaleShark Media