- The Bold Startup Indexing Every Inch of Planet Earth http://t.co/5I4nISi1aY via @Inc - posted 22 hours ago
- .@LendingClub Value Jumps to $3.8 Billion as It Buys Springstone http://t.co/qlVsvsrk8C via @BW - posted 7 days ago
- In Bid To Make Online Ads More Engaging, @true_X_media Taps Power Media Trio For Board http://t.co/xbLhmk27uA via @forbes - posted 7 days ago
- .@ActOnSoftware lands whopping $42 million VC round, among Silicon Forest's biggest ever http://t.co/Au7hkVG5dC - posted 1 week ago
- RT @VentureBeat: @ActOnSoftware raises $42M to double down on 'greenfield' marketing automation market http://t.co/i9X6OdIxPI - posted 1 week ago
- Counting On Supportive Healthcare - Attune Technologies offers integrated, cloud-based IT solutions http://t.co/zZMXDip4r7 - posted 1 week ago
- .@SundaySky gives clients the keys to video http://t.co/nnAPYDTgBN via @NYBizJournal - posted 2 weeks ago
- @7anirudh @NorwestVP @AiroCorp sounds good. - posted 3 weeks ago
- @RayyanIslam1 @NorwestVP @AiroCorp sure, write to me at email@example.com - posted 3 weeks ago
- @7anirudh Would @NorwestVP be interested in Artificial Intelligence startups? We're building @AiroCorp the world's first AI operating system - posted 3 weeks ago
- .@1010data named for 3rd year as Challenger in Gartner’s 2014 Magic Quadrant for Data Warehouse Database Mgmnt Sys https://t.co/h3mbJILixh - posted 3 weeks ago
- Congratulations and welcome to the Forbes #MidasList @jeffmcrowe http://t.co/nhcsTJNxV1 - posted 4 weeks ago
- @Dartmouth rocks @Forbes #MidasList: Congrats @NorwestVP @jeffmcrowe, @ScottDSandell @BRobertsVC, @dfjjosh, Hurst Lin http://t.co/bZ5yWH4Llx - posted 4 weeks ago
- Congrats @promodhaque & @jeffmcrowe for making the 2014 @Forbes #MidasList of tech’s top venture investors http://t.co/iIsWN9UJDM - posted 4 weeks ago
- Intel confirms acquisition of health wearable company Basis Science (@mybasis) http://t.co/RH96WLDCeU via @MobiHealthNews - posted 4 weeks ago
TagsAdaptive Planning AdExchanger ad tech Big Data Blue Jeans Network CareCloud Cloud David Su e-commerce entrepreneur entrepreneurs FireEye funding Gemvara Gilt Groupe growth equity Hadapt InsightsOne Jeff Crowe John Herr Josh Goldman Lending Club Matt Howard MobileIron ModCloth Motif Investing Norwest Norwest Venture Partners NVP Pertino Pinterest Promod Haque Quirky Rafter Ran Ding RetailMeNot Robert Abbott SaaS Sergio Monsalve SMB social commerce SundaySky The Retail Equation venture capital WhaleShark Media
Thoughts on Entrepreneurship- IBM SmartCamp Global Finals 2012
I recently spoke on two investor panels at the SmartCamp Global Finals, an exclusive IBM event aimed at identifying early stage entrepreneurs who are developing business ventures that align with IBM’s “Smarter Planet” vision. Our firm has a long-standing relationship with IBM, and I was honored to be a part of such a compelling event where I could exchange ideas with aspiring entrepreneurs and IBM business leaders such as Jim Corgel and Mike Riegel.
IBM has a unique business model when it comes to working with VCs and entrepreneurs, so it’s not surprising that the venture community has worked closely with the company for more than a decade to identify trends, partnerships and potential new businesses. Venture capitalists thrive on understanding the unmet needs of the marketplace, and when we talk to IBM, we learn a lot about these technology shifts and pain points that ultimately help guide us as we put dollars to work and build new companies.
Below is a video of the first VC panel on which I participated at SmartCamp, which concluded with an engaging question and answer session between SmartCamp’s entrepreneur participants and the panel.
Here is a video of the second panel on which I participated called, “The New Intelligence: The Power of Insight,” with Evangelos Simoudis, Managing Director, Trident Capital and Alexandra Johnson, Managing Director, DFJ VTB Aurora. Mike Riegel, VP of ISVs, Startups, Developers, and Academic Programs at IBM, moderated the session where we discussed the growth of global entrepreneurship and the worldwide opportunities that exist for big data and analytics.
In the video below, also taken during the IBM SmartCamp Global Finals, I discuss our recent investment in CareCloud, co-winner of the Silicon Valley SmartCamp 2010 and a global SmartCamp finalist that same year. In addition, I talk about our history working with IBM and NVP’s participation in past SmartCamps.