- RT @VentureBeat: @ClearDataNet scores $14M to bring health IT to the cloud http://t.co/6h9ipZhP5u by @EricBlattberg - posted 4 days ago
- @ClearDATA Lands $14M To Give The Healthcare HIPAA-Compliant Cloud Alternative To @AWS @Rackspace http://t.co/lSLgPnNHl9 @norwestvp - posted 5 days ago
- RT @BlueJeansNet: Cisco's Tough Sell for Video Conferencing http://t.co/A8QPaZmecM via @BW - posted 2 weeks ago
- “@DomainVeggies: #FF @jbrod @BatteryVentures @NorwestVP @timolehes @kevinrose @vcrecruiter @BobDavisHCP @DJMartirano @KristinCalve @rowe" - posted 2 weeks ago
- @HAdamGhobarah @NorwestVP @VentureBeat So true. As an outsider looking in, looks like they were fighting above their body weight. - posted 2 weeks ago
- A huge congrats to the Skybox team! “Dnepr rocket successfully launched & SkySat-1 has officially reached orbit.” http://t.co/3kdUuvzZOv - posted 3 weeks ago
- .@TopoAthletic Laces Up for Speed and Rugged Trails http://t.co/i8TPI8jD1C - posted 3 weeks ago
- Newton-based @TopoAthletic rolls out new line of minimalist running shoes http://t.co/H7jKTCpTNT via @BostonBizNews - posted 3 weeks ago
- Smart proactive customer service that delivers results – Interview with Jim Dicso of @SundaySky http://t.co/HqyRD7rpcF - posted 3 weeks ago
- .@Lumosity's latest research shows that we can learn quicker http://t.co/245Cmo2G4D via @pandodaily - posted 3 weeks ago
- @VCSerge Many thanks, Sergio - we appreciate your support! @samarbirwadker @NorwestVP - posted 3 weeks ago
- @Deloitte Tech #Fast500 @FireEye @elementaltech @Apigee @ActOnSoftware @Sojern @Lumosity @adaptiveplans @Rackspace http://t.co/lbCQEl4oZ6 - posted 4 weeks ago
- .@Apigee Ranked 34th Fastest Growing Company in North America on Deloitte 2013 Technology Fast 500™ http://t.co/w62YKBorpR - posted 4 weeks ago
- .@Veveo Named as CES Innovations 2014 Design and Engineering Award Honoree http://t.co/q6tvb47iCD - posted 4 weeks ago
- Quirky Raises $79m, including $30m from GE to make connected home gadgets &LizGannes @allthingsd http://t.co/fMoXiBCB6V” - posted 4 weeks ago
Tags1010data Adaptive Planning Big Data Blue Jeans Network BYOD Cloud e-commerce entrepreneur entrepreneurs FireEye funding Gemvara Gilt Groupe Hadapt Hadoop InsightsOne Jeff Crowe John Herr Josh Goldman Lending Club Manthan Systems Matt Howard MobileIron ModCloth Motif Investing Norwest Norwest Venture Partners NVP Pertino Pinterest Promod Haque Quirky Rafter recruiting RetailMeNot Robert Abbott SaaS Sergio Monsalve SMB social commerce social media SundaySky The Retail Equation venture capital WhaleShark Media
Thoughts on Entrepreneurship- IBM SmartCamp Global Finals 2012
I recently spoke on two investor panels at the SmartCamp Global Finals, an exclusive IBM event aimed at identifying early stage entrepreneurs who are developing business ventures that align with IBM’s “Smarter Planet” vision. Our firm has a long-standing relationship with IBM, and I was honored to be a part of such a compelling event where I could exchange ideas with aspiring entrepreneurs and IBM business leaders such as Jim Corgel and Mike Riegel.
IBM has a unique business model when it comes to working with VCs and entrepreneurs, so it’s not surprising that the venture community has worked closely with the company for more than a decade to identify trends, partnerships and potential new businesses. Venture capitalists thrive on understanding the unmet needs of the marketplace, and when we talk to IBM, we learn a lot about these technology shifts and pain points that ultimately help guide us as we put dollars to work and build new companies.
Below is a video of the first VC panel on which I participated at SmartCamp, which concluded with an engaging question and answer session between SmartCamp’s entrepreneur participants and the panel.
Here is a video of the second panel on which I participated called, “The New Intelligence: The Power of Insight,” with Evangelos Simoudis, Managing Director, Trident Capital and Alexandra Johnson, Managing Director, DFJ VTB Aurora. Mike Riegel, VP of ISVs, Startups, Developers, and Academic Programs at IBM, moderated the session where we discussed the growth of global entrepreneurship and the worldwide opportunities that exist for big data and analytics.
In the video below, also taken during the IBM SmartCamp Global Finals, I discuss our recent investment in CareCloud, co-winner of the Silicon Valley SmartCamp 2010 and a global SmartCamp finalist that same year. In addition, I talk about our history working with IBM and NVP’s participation in past SmartCamps.