- The @ApigeeInstitute Launches to Help the Global 2000 Succeed in the App Economy http://t.co/WJvv3bjDcp - posted 2 days ago
- Congrats to NVP’s @mattdhoward named as one of “The 19 Best Enterprise Tech Venture Capitalists” by @BusinessInsider http://t.co/GrQxVzlHcH - posted 2 days ago
- Can you train your brain? @Lumosity, BrainHQ say yes | Fox News http://t.co/pjRQfJ7I2C via @foxnews - posted 3 days ago
- Five minutes with: Krish Ramakrishnan, CEO, @BlueJeansNet http://t.co/bpxWWi6HYH - posted 4 days ago
- RT @Quirky: Did you catch our founder @BenKaufman on TV this morning? Video here: http://t.co/L5I4LvZwD0 #CNBCdisruptors - posted 4 days ago
- Join @promodhaque and @babbottnvp at the health event of the year: #HealthBeat 2013, May 20-21, San Francisco, CA http://t.co/3dT29mFG7Y - posted 4 days ago
- .@FreeShippingCom Introduces a New Member Benefit: 5% Cash Back on Online Purchases http://t.co/LCZcSdCWaG - posted 5 days ago
- Veveo Awarded Two New Patents for its Semantic Search, Discovery and Personalization Technologies http://t.co/NaTX5rmzgN - posted 5 days ago
- RT @promodhaque: InsightsOne to Deliver Predictive Intelligence for Independence Blue Cross http://t.co/2wVb2RWRSF - posted 1 week ago
- Cyan Celebrates Initial Public Offering and First Day of Trading on the New York Stock Exchange http://t.co/oFXFYYo9Iy - posted 1 week ago
- Cyan Announces Pricing of Initial Public Offering - Yahoo! Finance http://t.co/u308EqKiOY @YahooFinance - posted 1 week ago
- Congrats to @AppnomicSystems named to @AlwaysOn’s 2013 OnDemand “Companies to Watch” list http://t.co/bkXgoRUZjB - posted 2 weeks ago
- Congrats to @ActOnSoftware named to @AlwaysOn’s 2013 OnDemand “Companies to Watch” list http://t.co/bkXgoRUZjB - posted 2 weeks ago
- Congrats to @CareCloud named to @AlwaysOn’s 2013 OnDemand “Companies to Watch” list http://t.co/bkXgoRUZjB - posted 2 weeks ago
- Congrats to @badgeville named to @AlwaysOn’s 2013 “OnDemand 100 Top Private Co's list” http://t.co/bkXgoRUZjB - posted 2 weeks ago
Tags1010data Adaptive Planning Big Data Cloud e-commerce entrepreneur entrepreneurs financial technologies FireEye funding Gemvara Gilt Groupe Hadapt Hadoop InsightsOne Jeff Crowe John Herr Josh Goldman Lending Club Manta Manthan Systems Matt Howard MobileIron ModCloth Motif Investing Norwest Norwest Venture Partners NVP Pinterest Promod Haque Quirky Rackspace Rafter recruiting RetailMeNot Robert Abbott SaaS Sergio Monsalve SMB social commerce social media SundaySky The Retail Equation venture capital WhaleShark Media
Investing in Anywhere, Anytime Video
The proliferation of Internet-connected devices and fresh, Internet-delivered premium video services are forcing service providers to meet the growing demand of “anywhere, anytime” subscribers. The craving for this quality viewing experience and the ability to consume content on-demand, via multiple devices, has further energized innovation in the video delivery market.
Over the past few years, I’ve been following a 60 person company in Portland, called Elemental Technologies. Elemental’s mission is to perfect the media experience. The company works behind the scenes to help service providers, content programmers, broadcasters, live event producers and enterprises worldwide to instantaneously serve quality video anywhere, anytime. The Elemental team pioneered the use of graphics processors to power adaptive video streaming over IP networks, and is now working with top media and entertainment companies worldwide, including Comcast, Disney and HBO, offering solutions for superior multiscreen content delivery. Elemental’s innovative technology uses parallel architectures and codecs built from the ground up to achieve superior results and we’re excited by the rapid adoption of the company’s solutions.
Today, we are pleased to announce our investment in Elemental. This $13 million round will help the company fund its aggressive global growth plans, and enable Elemental to aggressively extend its leadership position in the multiscreen content delivery market. This rapidly growing sector (which includes online and mobile video processing and distribution) is expected to reach $1.6 billion by 2014.
NVP has partnered with a number of video related startups over the years and we’ve seen the industry evolve significantly. We experienced some early success through our investment in Accord Networks, a voice and video company which went public in 2000 and was later sold to Polycom for $339 million. We also were early investors in Polycom, which resulted in a successful IPO in 1996, and laid the groundwork for future NVP bets in the video communications space.
LifeSize Communications is another company we helped incubate that was acquired in 2009 by Logitech for $405 million; as well as Omneon, which was acquired in 2010 by Harmonic for $306 million. Today, we are excited to be active investors in some cutting-edge video-related companies such as Blue Jeans Network, the leader in interoperable video conferencing services; Zenverge, a fabless semiconductor company devoted to accelerating consumer access to next generation digital content and services by delivering advanced, cost-effective IC solutions for content storage, playback, interoperability, mobility and networking in the next generation of consumer digital media products; and SundaySky, the creator of SmartVideo–a newer, better, smarter way of using video to communicate with prospects and customers. Adding Elemental to this group is exciting for us. We believe NVP’s partnership with Elemental is a perfect match—and the decision for us to invest was an easy one. We’re hopeful that our video experience, business relationships and current portfolio of companies in this sector will be of value to Elemental at this stage of the company’s growth.
We are thrilled to work with Elemental CEO and Co-founder, Sam Blackman, as well as SVP Worldwide Sales and Service, Dan Marshall, who previously served as head of sales at NVP portfolio company Omneon Video Networks. Elemental also announced today that industry veteran Kevin O’Hara is joining the company as chairman, and we’re excited to collaborate with him.
I look forward to partnering with this talented team and helping Elemental achieve continued growth.
More information on the funding announcement can be found here, as well as some recent links to news below.
- Vator News: Norwest leads $13M Series C in Elemental Technologies; NVP bets on video delivery over multiple devices, such as iPads, iPhones, smartphones, set-top boxes
Accord Networks BlueJeans Network content on-demand Dan Marshall Elemental Technologies entrepreneur funding IP networks Kevin O'Hara LifeSize mobile video processing multiscreen content delivery NVP Omneon Polycom Robert Abbott Sam Blackman SundaySky video Zenverge